Thursday, February 9, 2012

Painting Icing Gold

Today's post is all about sharing a tip I learned today. I'm still really new to cake decorating, and it never would have occurred to me to use airbrush color (edible, of course) for anything other than airbrushing. I was shopping at what is rapidly becoming my favorite local cake decorating store, Sugar N Spice in Daly City. I asked if they had anything on hand to paint icing gold with, and was told they were sold out of their traditional supplies, but that in a pinch, airbrush color works just as well. I bought a bottle of Gold Sheen Airbrush Color by AmeriColor (it was $4), and gave it a test run with a royal icing rose:
The tiny angled brush that comes with the Wilton brush set is one of my favorite brushes, ever. It's just narrow enough to dip into the airbrush color bottle, so now I like it even more: 
I started painting the edges in the middle…
…and worked my way to the outer edges. A benefit to painting the edges gold is you can glitz over any imperfections that may have occurred when you piped the rose! Within about ten minutes the paint was still damp, but could be handled (enough to stick the rose on a cupcake and pipe a few leaves around it, anyway). As fun as this project was, now I'm sort of itching to buy an airbrush to use this paint in the way it was intended; any recommendations would be extremely welcome! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's really edible? Very nice - Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Val! Well, it's not edible in the sense that you'd want to knock back a shot of the stuff, but the ingredients aren't too vile (I think I've seen most of these on candy wrappers): Water, sugar, mica-based pearlescent pigment (yeah, that sounds a bit inedible but probably not toxic), citric acid, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate (preservative), sodium citrate, calcium lactate, Yellow #6 & Blue #1. Everything in moderation, right?

    ReplyDelete